In the lockers problem out of the 1,000 lockers 31 lockers will be open in the end. The 31 lockers that are open 1 ,4 ,9 ,16 ,25 ,36 ,49 ,64 ,81 ,100 ,121 ,144 ,169 ,198 ,225 ,256 ,289 ,324 ,361 ,400 441, 484, 529, 576, 625, 676, 729, 784, 841,900, and lastly 961. The reason why these lockers are open is because they are all square numbers. The reason why these square numbers are open is because they have an odd amount of factors.
How I figured out this answer is that on a hundreds chart I went up to the number 30 doing the number pattern from the book. Then I figured out that all the lockers open are square numbers, So then I figured out the rest of the square numbers up to a thousand. SO in the end there are 31 lockers open.
Great job, Amber! Your answer can be improved with a representation and a more thorough explanation of what the odd number of factors has to do with the problem.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 2