In this unit, I learned about the issue of poverty in our world. I learned about the poverty cycle and why it is so difficult to escape this cycle. It is clear to me that more needs to be done, and we looked at some solutions and ways at which we can help through the Change for Change drive, and by supporting NGO’s such as Kiva loans.
One of the activities that changed my thinking was learning about Microfinance and KIVA loans. This unit I learnt what Micro- financing is which is: It helps people who are in need of money, usually get a small loan to start a business. Also, I learnt more about KIVA which is a website where people need a loan to maybe help out a family member in hospital, to build a well, get education, etc. so you give them a loan, and in the end they pay you exact loan amount back. It is important because you can help people in poverty that need to borrow a loan to fix an issue or help their community.I’m inspired to use KIVA more often because I will be able to help those in need and at the same time it’s not like you're losing money because either way you are gonna get your money back and be able to loan to another person.
Another one of the activities I really enjoyed was the “Spent” Simulation game.In the Spent Simulation game I learnt how to be able to manage my money with a family and money losing occasions that would occur if I was in poverty. This is important because it shows what sacrifices you have to make if you end up in poverty. I had to sell my dog, yell at my boss, etc. Also, it shows the daily things people have to go through everyday in poverty. I’m now inspired to help men get better paid job so the women don’t have to work and have a hard time trying to solve family issues and payment issues.
It is hard to break the poverty cycle because no matter how hard you work to earn money or to get a better education you won’t always be able to break, it takes a really long time and a lot of effort. It also depends on what type of poverty you are in and how harder it is for you to escape. The poverty cycle can be broken though if you have strong will and do you best, work the hardest to earn enough money, get good education, and be able to travel and get a better paid job somewhere else in the world.

I really liked how you started off your intro paragraph by introducing the activities we did in this unit. Also, I liked how you explained what micro- financing is, and how it helps people break out of the poverty cycle. Finally, I enjoyed reading your closing paragraph. That helped give me a longer lasting idea of doing what I can help people in poverty.
ReplyDelete- Lilly
Hey Amber,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you gave a bunch of definitions, like what micro-financing and KIVA loans are, just in case someone didn't know what they are. Also, I like how you ended with talking about the poverty cycle, so that people are more aware of why it's so hard. Overall, you did a really good job!
- Camila
Dear Amber,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you said that after you did the KIVA loan activity, you said that you would want to do it more because you CAN do it even if it makes a small difference. I also like how you went in depth with the conclusion about the poverty cycle because it gives the reader a better understanding about the poverty cycle and how severe it actually is. Great job!
- Emma