This first unit based on sociology concepts and identity essays has been interesting. With the use of going into depth on the factors of Agents of Socialization and sociology terms has made me understand, and really learn more about our daily life in society. With learning concepts, such as the "looking glass self" by Charles Cooley, the "Act-Like-A-Man-Box", and Agents of Socialization(Henslin), that we subconsiously follow on a daily basis, it was interesting learning how it really impacts ourselves and others. With that being said, I found that throughout this unit, I have been able to grow on my skills on noticing what "reality" is and how factors impact each person in society. Which also grows on my identity with allowing myself to become a more dependable person when it comes to helping and supporting peers. One concept that I learned more in depth in this unit was how gender roles are impacted through media, but personally for me, how the "Miss Representation"(Russell) connects to my identity. "Miss Representation" is a concept and organisation on how girls and women are impacted daily through their expectations on gender stereotypes, and this really impacts me because I deal with issues with trying to fit in with the "ideal body" stereotype. I learned a lot more about how media manipulates expectations, and how every single girl and woman, including me, shouldn't believe what is portrayed because we are all just as equal to everyone else. These sociology concepts that I have learned were also really important when it came to writing my informative draft based one the main question: do I control who I am? In this essay I shared how the Agents of Socialization of family and media, as well as, the concept the "looking glass self" by Charles Cooley have had the largest impact on shaping who I am. In this writing piece, I was proud on how I really allowed myself to go in depth and give personal examples of how these factors have impacted me. Especially, because with my original draft, I had an issue with including personal examples and having "so what?"'s to each. However, one aspect that I need to work on in this writing is introducing and explaining each concept better. For example, I had a hard time trying to give the correct description and example about the "looking glass self". As well as, though I was proud of my use to adding in personal examples, I still had a hard time punctuating the importance of them and how they truley showed my norms and values. Overall, I am proud with the effort I had put in my writing because of my interest and understanding on how sociology impacts every individual.
Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Summative Assessment Blog Relection
This first unit based on sociology concepts and identity essays has been interesting. With the use of going into depth on the factors of Agents of Socialization and sociology terms has made me understand, and really learn more about our daily life in society. With learning concepts, such as the "looking glass self" by Charles Cooley, the "Act-Like-A-Man-Box", and Agents of Socialization(Henslin), that we subconsiously follow on a daily basis, it was interesting learning how it really impacts ourselves and others. With that being said, I found that throughout this unit, I have been able to grow on my skills on noticing what "reality" is and how factors impact each person in society. Which also grows on my identity with allowing myself to become a more dependable person when it comes to helping and supporting peers. One concept that I learned more in depth in this unit was how gender roles are impacted through media, but personally for me, how the "Miss Representation"(Russell) connects to my identity. "Miss Representation" is a concept and organisation on how girls and women are impacted daily through their expectations on gender stereotypes, and this really impacts me because I deal with issues with trying to fit in with the "ideal body" stereotype. I learned a lot more about how media manipulates expectations, and how every single girl and woman, including me, shouldn't believe what is portrayed because we are all just as equal to everyone else. These sociology concepts that I have learned were also really important when it came to writing my informative draft based one the main question: do I control who I am? In this essay I shared how the Agents of Socialization of family and media, as well as, the concept the "looking glass self" by Charles Cooley have had the largest impact on shaping who I am. In this writing piece, I was proud on how I really allowed myself to go in depth and give personal examples of how these factors have impacted me. Especially, because with my original draft, I had an issue with including personal examples and having "so what?"'s to each. However, one aspect that I need to work on in this writing is introducing and explaining each concept better. For example, I had a hard time trying to give the correct description and example about the "looking glass self". As well as, though I was proud of my use to adding in personal examples, I still had a hard time punctuating the importance of them and how they truley showed my norms and values. Overall, I am proud with the effort I had put in my writing because of my interest and understanding on how sociology impacts every individual.
Labels:
eng9world
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment